Major renovations and seismic upgrades to the historic 42,800 SF building, and 40,000 SF addition
The LEED Platinum Mercy Corps Headquarters is the restoration of an historic Portland landmark, the Packer-Scott building, and the addition of a new 40,000 SF steel and concrete structure. Built in 1892, the Packer-Scott building was seismically upgraded and restored to its original form and upgraded to ensure it endures into the future. The new building incorporates modern, sustainable design while complementing the character of the historic building.
The entire structure now houses offices, an educational Global Action Center open to the community, the Lemelson Foundation, and a small retail space. To achieve a LEED Platinum rating, Mercy Corps incorporated many of the typical methods including: a green roof and solar array, period appropriate energy-efficient windows, pervious pavers, a system of six planters designed to slow rainwater runoff, recycled content of building materials, low VOCs and significant construction waste management.
42,800 SF restoration
40,000 SF addtion
DJC Oregon Top Projects
Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center
The first restoration of a historic building in the nation to receive LEED Gold
PAE Living Building
This 58,000-square-foot, five-story office building is a fully certified Living Building built to last 500 years